Friday, April 10, 2015

Gratitude Board

During the holiday season it occurred to me that many people are without family and friends but they have their apartment community and we tend be extended family. We see them every day if not at the very least picking up mail, paying rent or walking their dogs. I also noticed that people can be sad or even angry during this season of joy. So I decided to create a gratitude board. Something eye catching and welcoming. I found an old frame and installed wires across the length of the board and purchased decorative clothes pins to clip the pieces of paper on it that would tell the story of what each resident was thankful for. These papers would remain anonymous however would reveal many wonderful thoughts of what they were happy for even if it is the smallest of things. I hung this in a conspicuous place in the clubhouse. At our community events and anytime I saw a resident strolling by I asked if they would like to participate. Pretty soon the board was full of positive thoughts. It has been a conversation piece every since!

No comments:

Post a Comment